Eindhoven (NB): St. Trudo (C. van Dijk, 1885-1887,
& C.H. de Bever, 1931-1938)
is one of a series of villages that in 1920 were annexed by Eindhoven
and have since become integrated parts of the city. Like the other
villages, Strijp had its own church, the St. Trudo. This Gothic church
had been confiscated in 1648 by the protestants and the catholics made
use of two barn churches until the old church was returned to
them in 1799.
In 1885-1887 a new church was built at some
distance from the old one, which was demolished. The new church, a
cruciform three-aisled basilica in neo-Gothic style, was
by architect C. van Dijk. A remarkable part of this church is the large
hexagonal chapel with the distinctive pointed roof that flanks the
choir at its north side. Originally,
the side-aisles were covered by single sloping roofs. However, in
1931-1932 parts of the side-aisles were extended by architects L.J.P.
Kooken and C.H. de Bever. Each extended trave was
closed on its outer side with two walls that meet each other in a
corner which is emphasized by the presence of a buttress. These traves
were covered by hip roofs. Probably, in the same period the
ambulatory was added to the choir and a portal was built at the north
side of the transept. These parts of the church differ from the pure
neo-Gothic style of the main part of the church and are closer to
The same goes for several more
structures, like two chapel-like constructions on
the south side of the choir and a flat-roofed space at the south side
of the transept.
1936 a fire severly damaged the church, destroying the interior and the
roof. As part of the repairing, in 1937-1938 the church was extended on
the west side with a
tower, the external side-aisles were lengthened and a large octagonal
baptistry was added to the front of the northern side-aisle, all
designed by C.H. de Bever.
In 1944 bombs
damaged parts of the church, and it
wasn't repaired until 1949.