O.L. Vrouwe Onbevlekte Ontvangenis (Dom. P. Bellot, 1926-1927)
far from Waalwijk's centre,
in the former village of Besoyen, which now is a part of Waalwijk,
stands this catholic church in expressionistic style. It was built
behind its predecessor, a neo-Classical church from 1851. When the new
church was finished, the old one was demolished.
The current building was designed
by Benedictine monk and architect Dom. Paul Bellot, who took much of
his inspiration from brickwork architecture in Catalonia, in
cooperation with P. Cuypers jr., Jos. Cuypers' son. An almost identical
tower can be found at the church
of the Sacred Heart in Eindhoven, built by Bellot and H.C.
van de Leur
in 1930-1931. The church closed in 2000. Its future is uncertain.