Click here to go to the main page

Noordhoek (NB): St. Josef (Dom. Bellot & H.C. van de Leur, 1921-1923)


In the Netherlands, this village church was the first assignment outside the abbey in Oosterhout for French monk and architect Dom Bellot. The church features many details typical for Bellot's style, especially the shape of the windows. But also the use of different colours of brick is something that would return in his later work occasionally. For this church Bellot used different colours of rooftiles as well. In the interior many parts are decorated with mosaics.
The front is noteworthy for the round-topped recess and the modest bell-tower on top. Inside, the shape of the recess is repeated in that of the arches that support the wooden ceiling.
Instead of a clerestory on each side of the nave their are three dormer-windows to provide light inside the church.
The choir has a rectangular closure. In this area of the church are also two neatly detailed chimneys.
Next to the church are a presbytery and a school, both of which were designed by the same architects.





Back to Churches in the province of Noord-Brabant

Back to the Province of Noord-Brabant Places & building

Back to Dom Bellot