Goirle (NB): St.
Johannes' Onthoofding (J.Th.J. Cuypers, 1897-1898)
In 1896 the church of Goirle was demolished. This Gothic church had
been built in ca. 1450 and, despite neglected maintenance, had survived
almost two centuries of protestant minority use when it returned in
catholic hands in 1809. Partly as a result of several too drastic
'repairs' the church fell into decay in this period. In 1897 work began
on a new church, designed by architect Jos. Cuypers. Of the old church
only the 15th-century tower was saved, although it was increased in
ten meters. The spire on the tower dates from
1953 and replaced the previous one that was destroyed in the war. The
church itself is a fairly traditional three-aisled cruciform
church in a simple neo-Gothic style. Cuypers' style in this period
still derived a lot from that of his famous father, P.J.H. Cuypers.