Click here to go to the main page

Winschoten (Gr): reformed church or St. Vitus

In the 12th century a chapel was built along the road from Groningen to Münster. In ca. 1275 this chapel was replaced by the current church, at that time dedicated to St. Vitus. It is a one-aisled, five traves long building in Romano-Gothic style. Although at first sight perfectly preserved this church has been changed in several ways since it was built. The current state of the church is the result of a restoration in 1905-1907 following plans by C.H. Peters. Although this architect never built a church he was a former student of P.J.H. Cuypers and an important architect of neo-Gothicism. Completely in the tradition of his former tutor, who probably advised him, he restored the church as much to its former catholic glory as possible, despite its use as a reformed church. Both inside and outside a coat of plaster was removed. The western facade was largely renewed and a frieze with pointed niches was added to the walls. Inside the typically Romano-Gothic mellon-vaults were reconstructions as the original ones were demolished in the 17th century and replaced by a barrel-vault
Although it stands at some distance, the tower actually was built for the church. The lower part of this tower probably dates from the 13th century. The upper parts date from a restoration in 1930-1931 by D. Bolhuis and are made of concrete and partly covered by a coat of bricks.








Back to Churches in the province of Groningen

Back to Winschoten