Click here to go to the main page

Oldebroek (G): reformed church

The church of Oldebroek dates back to the 14th century and was then called St. Lambertus. Its oldest part is the tower, which dates from the 14th century. The Gothic choir dates from the 15th century while the sacristy at its north side is from the 16th. In the first half of the 16th century a three-aisled nave was built, of which only the parts of the side-aisles that flank the tower remain. Although the church was badly damaged in 1629, during the Eighty Years War, when it was set on fire. However, it seems it was restored to its former state. The first big change was made in 1844, when the church was extended on the north side. In 1866 the nave was demolished altogether and replaced by the current construction in neo-Classical style, which was built square on the former axis of the church. this gave the church a cruciform ground plan, at least on the outside. A wall was built to seperate the new nave from the choir, which now became a consistory with its own doorway on the south side. These and other changes were made undone during a restoration in 1922.






Back to Churches in the province of Gelderland

Back to Oldebroek