Echteld (G): reformed church
The church of
Echteld is one of the oldest in this part of the country. The
one-aisled nave, which is largely made out of tuff, was built in the
12th century or earlier and shows elements of the original
Romanesque style, like the portal on the South side. The original small
windows were later enlarged to the current size. The Gothic choir was
built in the 14th century and has remarkably deep buttresses with
saddle roofs. Although largely built out of brick, its outside is
covered with tuff.
After in 1833 the original Romanesque tower collapsed and destroyed
part of the nave, the latter was shortened in 1835 and a new brick
tower built. Probably in the same period, the heavy buttresses were
added to the North side of the nave.