Click here to go to the main page
Oisterwijk municipality / Gemeente Oisterwijk (NB)

Oisterwijk is a small town and a municipality located east of Tilburg, comprising also the villages Moergestel and Heukelom. Oisterwijk has had town rights since 1230 and was an important center of trade and industry until the Eighty Years War and the center of government of a much larger area. Until the late-20th century the town had some important leather processing and furniture making industry. Today Oisterwijk has some touristic importance, while many of its inhabitants are commuters. Moergestel and Heukelom became part of the municipality in 1997.

Oisterwijk is een kleine stad en een gemeente ten oosten van Tilburg, en omvat ook de dorpen Moergestel en Heukelom. Oisterwijk heeft sinds 1230 stadsrechten en was tot de Tachtigjarige Oorlog de hoofdplaats van een veel groter gebied en een belangrijk centrum van handel en industrie. Tot de late 20e eeuw had de stad een belangrijke leerbewerking- en meubelindustrie. Tegenwoordig is Oisterwijk van toeristisch belang, terwijl veel inwoners forenzen zijn. Moergestel en Heukelom werden in 1997 onderdeel van de gemeente.
 

Oisterwijk

The protestant church is a so-called Napoleon's church, named after king Lodewijk Napoleon (Louis Napoleon) who personally donated large sums of money in order to compensate protestants for the loss of their old churches when these were returned to the catholics. It's a small, modest building in neo-Classical style designed by L. van Heyst and dates from 1810.

Location: Kerkstraat 64

De protestantse kerk is een zogenaamde Napoleonskerk, vernoemd naar koning Lodewijk Napoleon die persoonlijk grote sommen geld schonk om protestanten te compenseren voor het verlies van hun oude kerken toen deze werden teruggegeven aan de katholieken. Het is een klein, bescheiden gebouw in neoclassicistische naar een ontwerp door L. van Heyst en dateert uit 1810.

Locatie: Kerkstraat 64  

 

 

 

 

 

The St. Petrus' Banden is a neo-Gothic church designed by P.J.H. Cuypers and is a highlight in his career. It's one of his earliest attempts at a centralizing ground plan, following the example of the Liebfrauenkirche in the German city of Trier. The church was built in 1894-1897 and replaced a medieval church on the same location.

Location: Kerkplein 1 

De St. Petrus' Banden is een neogotische kerk ontworpen door P.J.H. Cuypers en een hoogtepunt in diens carrière. Het is een van zijn vroegste pogingen om een ​​centraliserende plattegrond toe te passen, naar het voorbeeld van de Liebfrauenkirche in de Duitse stad Trier. De kerk werd gebouwd in 1894-1897 en verving een middeleeuwse kerk op dezelfde locatie.

Locatie: Kerkplein 1

 

The chapel of Franciscan convent Catharinenberg  is an aisleless building in neo-Gothic style, designed by J. van der Valk and built in 1908-1909. The convent was closed in 2018.

Location: Poirtersstraat 3

De kapel van het Franciscanessenklooster Catharinenberg is een aisleless gebouw in neo-gotische stijl, ontworpen door J. van der Valk en gebouwd in 1908-1909. Het klooster werd in 2018 gesloten.

Locatie: Poirtersstraat 3
 

 

The St. Johannes van Oisterwijk is a five-aisled basilica built in a combination of Expresionist and Traditionalist styles, designed by architect H.W. Valk. The church was built in 1926-1928 but the tower wasn't added until 1951-1953.

Location: De Lind 50

De St. Johannes van Oisterwijk is een vijfbeukige basiliek gebouwd in een combinatie van expressionistische en traditionalistische stijlen, ontworpen door architect H.W. Valk. De kerk werd gebouwd in 1926-1928 maar de toren werd pas in 1951-1953 toegevoegd.

Locatie: De Lind 50

 


H.W. Valk also designed the Franciscan convent O.L. Vrouw ter Linde, a complex in Expressionist style with a chapel and a school, built in 1928-1930. The convent was closed in 1978 and now houses a day-care center and an office.

Location: Schoolstraat 3-5 

H.W. Valk ontwierp ook het Franciscanessenklooster O.L. Vrouw ter Linde, een complex in expressionistische stijl met een kapel en een school, gebouwd in 1928-1930. Het klooster werd in 1978 gesloten en herbergt nu een crèche en een kantoor.

Locatie: Schoolstraat 3-5

Moergestel

The St. Jans Onthoofding ('Beheading of St. John') is an aisleless cruciform church in Traditionalist style, designed by H.W. Valk and built in 1931-1932 to replace a medieval church. The tower in Campine Gothic style, built in the mid-16th century, remained.

Location: St. Jansplein 13
 
De St. Jans Onthoofding is een eenbeukige kruiskerk in traditionalistische stijl, ontworpen door H.W. Valk en gebouwd in 1931-1932 ter vervanging van een ​​middeleeuwse kerk. De toren in Kempengotische stijl uit het midden van de 16e eeuw bleef behouden.

Locatie: St. Jansplein 13


Back to the province of Noord-Brabant