Like in most parts of the country, the catholics of Hoogkarspel lost their church to the protestants during the Reformation. In the early 20th century they were part of the surrounding parishes, but when the catholic population grew drastically it was time to think about a church of their own. In 1928 Hoogkarspel parish in the process of being founded and a shed, recently build for the storage of flower bulbs, was transformed into a temporary church and consecrated in November. In January 1929 the village officially became a parish.
To design the new church architect
A. Dessing was contacted, but for reasons unknown he passed the assignment to
K.P. Tholens. Tholens designed a wide three-aisled church in a moderate
In June 1930 the new church was consecrated.