Click here to go to the main page
Limbricht (L): old St. Salvius

A little outside the village of Limbricht, close to the castle, is where the old church stands. It was closed when the new church elsewhere in the village, started in 1922, was opened.
The church has two aisles, both are about equally high and wide. The oldest part of the church is the northern aisle, especially the lower half of the northern wall, which dates from the 11th century and was built of stones from the river Maas. The choir has a few fragments from the same century, but is largely from ca. 1250 and in late-Romanesque style. Inside are some murals from the same period, which are probably the oldest in The Netherlands. The tower was built in ca. 1458 and originally stood next to the church. In the first quarter of the 16th century the southern aisle was built and the facade renewed. In 1651 both aisles were heightened and given stepped gables at the east end. In 1953-1954 F.P.J. Peutz restored the church and removed the sacristy and portal,
both of which were not original.





Back to Churches in the province of Limburg

Back to Sittard-Geleen municipality