Heerlen (L): St.
Probably as early as the 4th
century there must have been a chapel or church in Heerlen, which was
then called Coriovallum and was an important Roman settlement. In the
year 1065 a small church, more a chapel, which was dedicated to St.
Andreas, is known to have existed on this location. This building was
later replaced by the current church dedicated to St. Pancratius. The
nave dates from the 12th century and is in Romanesque style. The tower
is in the same style and dates from 1394 and originally had a defensive
Between 1661 and 1830 the church was used by both catholics and
protestants. After the protestants had been given a church of their own
in 1838 the St. Pancratius was restored and repaired. Work lasted until
1863. An important change was the replacement of the choir by a new
neo-Gothic one, possibly designed by P.J.H. Cuypers. A polygonal
stair-turret was added to the tower in 1862.
In 1901-1903 Jos.
Cuypers restored the church but also extended it. The neo-Gothic
choir and part of the nave were demolished and replaced by a transept
with crossing-tower and a new choir, all in neo-Romanesque style and
built with the same natural stone as the old part of the church.