Noordwolde (Gr): reformed
The church of
Noordwolde is a one-aisled building with a straight choir
and a tower. The lower part of
the tower is probably
the oldest part of the church and was originally in Romanesque style.
Originally nave and tower were seperate; in 1639 they were connected by
the current western trave. At around the same time the tower was
heightened with two segments as well as newly clad.
On top is an onion dome, the only one in the province.
The nave was built in Romanogothic style in the second quarter of the
13th century. Interestingly, the south side was more elaborately
decorated with blind niches with decorative masonry than the north
side. In the original configuration, each window on the south side was
flanked on either side by two equally large blind niches.
In the 14th century the straight choir was built, also in Romanogothic
style. The gable of the east wall is decorated with stepped blind
niches. The big pointed windows in the nave and the choir date from the
17th century. The windows are held in white plaster frames which are
found at many more churches in the region. Especially at the south side
of the nave these windows interfere with the original Romanogothic