Click here to go to the main page

Wageningen (G)

Wageningen is a town and a municipality in the west of Gelderland, bordering on the province of Utrecht and the Nederrijn river. Its origins are in the 9th, when a settlement on the hill Wageningse berg emerged, followed in the 12th century by a second settlement along the Rhine. The latter became a town in 1263 while the first settlement was destroyed in 1480. The town evolved quickly after it became home to a school for agriculture, predecessor of the current university. Much of the town was destroyed in World War Two and rebuilt later.

Wageningen is een stad en gemeente in het westen van Gelderland, grenzend aan de provincie Utrecht en de rivier de Nederrijn. De oorsprong ligt in de 9e, toen een nederzetting op de Wageningse berg ontstond, in de 12e eeuw gevolgd door een tweede nederzetting langs de Rijn. De laatste werd een stad in 1263, terwijl de eerste nederzetting in 1480 werd verwoest. De stad ontwikkelde zich snel nadat er een landbouwschool was gevestigd, de voorloper van de huidige universiteit. Een groot deel van de stad werd verwoest in de Tweede Wereldoorlog en later herbouwd.

 

The reformed church is a cruciform church in late-Gothic style, with an originally 13th-century nave and a 15th-century transept and choir. The 12th-century Romanesque tower was destroyed in 1944, leaving only the lower 3 meters remaining, and was replaced by a new tower in 1953-1954.

Location: Markt 1  

De hervormde kerk is een kruiskerk in laatgotische stijl, met een oorspronkelijk 13e-eeuws schip en een 15e-eeuws transept en koor. De romaanse toren uit de 12e eeuw werd in 1944 verwoest waardoor alleen de onderste 3 meter overbleef en werd in 1953-1954 vervangen door een nieuwe toren.

Locatie: Markt 1
 

The Immanuelkerk was built in 1933-1934 as the catholic St. Cunera chapel, part of a convent, and was designed in Traditionalist style by H. Koop and H.J. van der Heijden. It has been a protestant church since 1978 and belongs to the evangelistic Vineyard church.

Location: Markt 25

De Immanuelkerk werd in 1933-1934 gebouwd als de katholieke St. Cunerakapel als onderdeel van een klooster en is in traditionalistische stijl ontworpen door H. Koop en H.J. van der Heijden. Het is sinds 1978 een protestantse kerk en behoort tot de evangelische Wijngaard kerk.

Locatie: Markt 25
 


The (Geref.) Bevrijdingskerk ('liberation church, its name since ca. 1975) is a church in moderate Expressionist style, designed by B.T. Boeyinga and built in 1935.

Location: Van Schelvenweg 2

De (Geref.) Bevrijdingskerk (de naam sinds ca. 1975) is een kerk in gematigd expressionistische stijl, ontworpen door B.T. Boeyinga en gebouwd in 1935.

Locatie: Van Schelvenweg 2
 
The catholic St. Johannes de Doper emerged in 1949-1950 out of the ruins of a cruciform church with a tall tower, designed by H.J. van der Heijden. The church was rebuilt by architect J.G.A. van Dongen, retaining much of the interior but with a very different exterior with a short tower.

Location: Bergstraat 15 

De katholieke St. Johannes de Doper verrees in 1949-1950 uit de ru´nes van een kruiskerk met een hoge toren, ontworpen door H.J. van der Heijden. De kerk werd herbouwd door architect J. van Dongen, met behoud van een groot deel van het interieur, maar met een heel ander exterieur met een korte toren.

Locatie: Bergstraat 15
 

The Arboretumkerk is a church in Traditionalist style, designed by W. Gerretsen and C.J. Cramer and built in 1951 as a Mennonite church, replacing a previous building at another location which had been destroyed in 1940. Very unusual for a Mennonite church is the inclusion of a tower. The church has its curent name since 2012, when the Mennonites merged with the liberal protestant NPB. 

Location: August Faliseweg 22

De Arboretumkerk is een kerk in traditionalistische stijl, ontworpen door W. Gerretsen en C.J. Cramer en gebouwd in 1951 als doopsgezinde kerk, ter vervanging van een eerder gebouw op een andere locatie die in 1940 was verwoest. Zeer ongebruikelijk voor een doopsgezinde kerk is de opname van een toren. De kerk heeft haar huidige naam sinds 2012, toen de doopsgezinden fuseerden met de liberale protestantse NPB.

Locatie: Augustus Faliseweg 22
 

Back to the Province of Gelderland