Beek (G): reformed church or Kleine Bartholomeuskerk
church of Beek was first
mentioned as a chapel of the monastery of Zyfflich in 1286, but is in
older, the lower half of the tower dating from the 11th
century. The original chapel burned down in ca. 1380, its successor was
partly destoyed by fire as well in ca. 1450. When Beek became a parish
in 1536 the building was enlarged twice. Although the vast majority of
the Beek population were catholics, early in the 17th century, after
Reformation, the church became protestant. Once again the
was rebuilt; the
upper part of the tower as well as the nave and the choir
were all built in ca. 1650, possibly copying older shapes. In the same period a
small school was added to the back of the choir.
religious freedom was
proclaimed at the end of the 18th century
the church was not returned to the catholic majority. Instead it remained
protestant property but the catholics were given the right to use it in the
mornings. Although the protestants were responsible for the maintenance of the
church, little work was done to the church between 1796 and 1826. Instead, when
the church had to be closed due to neglected maintenance in 1824, the
protestants simply chose to use their chapel in Ubbergen while the catholics
built a wooden shed on the other side of the tower. When the catholics moved
into their new church in 1826 the protestants finally started maintenance of the
restoration in 1906-1909 by F.A.
Ludewig the school was demolished and the current apse and the consistory were added,
as well as the stepped gables at the back of the nave and the choir. In september
1944 the church was badly damaged. Five years later it was restored.
After yet another restoration in 2002, repairing several major
technical mistakes made during the Ludewig restoration, the church was
handed to a foundation in 2004.