(ZH): St. Willibrord (1901, J.Th.J. Cuypers & J. Stuyt)
the protestants came to power in Oegstgeest, they confiscated
the ruins of the old village church. Like everywhere in protestant
territory, the catholic faith was forbidden and forced into
hiding. At the end of the 17th century the religious climate became
more tolerant, and in 1687 a farmhouse could be converted
into a modest church. In 1772 this building was drastically
rebuilt. It was used until the end of the 19th century.
By the year 1900 the church had become too small. Architects J.th.J.
Cuypers and J. Stuyt were commissioned to design a new church. The
result is the current church in a Neo-Gothic style which is closely
related to that of Cuypers' famous father P.J.H. Cuypers. It's a
three-aisled pseudo-basilica with side-aisles that are divided in 5
traves, each with a triplet-window, a gable and a saddle-roof square on
the higher roof of the nave. Next to the choir, which is directed to
the East and borders on a public road, is a tall tower. Entrance to the
church is through a wooden portal at the front side.