Bartholomeus (E.J. Margry, 1869-1871)
After the Reformation in
the 1570's the catholics of Nootdorp lost the use of their church,
which from then on was protestant. Sometime in the 17th century a
hidden church was built which continued to be used until 1871.
In 1869 work started on the construction of a new church. In 1871 the
church was completed. It was designed by E.J. Margry and was one of
his first churches. It's a big three-aisled cruciform basilica in a
neo-Gothic style inspired by early French Gothicism. Like many of
churches this one is rich in details, especially the tower. Its upper
segment is octagonal and is positioned in between four cylindrical
corner-turrets. The clerestorey has unusually shaped windows. The
transept-arms are polygonal. In the corners between these and the choir
are lateral chapels. Margry also designed the presbytery next to the
church. Much more recently a modern addition was built on
the other side of the building.