church or Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk part 1/2
reformed church is a big building in Brabantine Gothic style, except
for the tower which is built in a Gothic style exclusive to Zeeland,
most notably to the islands of Noord- and Zuid-Beveland. In 1577 the
church was confiscated by the protestants and has remained in their
possesion ever since.
The church was founded, as a catholic church of course, in the 13th
century, and a chapter was attached to it in 1404. The church was then
still named Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk (Church of Our Lady). A great fire
destroyed most of the town in 1452, including the church. In c. 1460
the rebuilt was started, which was ended in the early 16th century.
The nave has stone vaults, which explains the presence of
flying buttresses on the outside, something which isn't very common in
this part of the country. Nave and transept were possibly designed by
Evert Spoorwater, one of the leading master-builders of Brabantine
Gothic. In the same period he worked on the St. Gertrudis in nearby
Bergen op Zoom.
The choir was meant to have its own clerestorey, as well as an
ambulatory with radiating chapels. This part of the church was not
finished, and the main choir ends where the ambulatory was meant to
begin, witness the arches and pillars. The finished part
beginning of the ambulatory was transformed into a northern choir in
the second quarter of the 16th century. The brick south choir,
which probably dates from the early 16th century and was
meant to be replaced by the ambulatory, has survived. The three choirs
are seperated from the rest of the church by a wall.