Amerongen (U): reformed church
The first church in Amerongen, the St. Pieter,
was built in the 13th century. This church was replaced in the 15th century by
a church with a pseudo-basilican nave. In the northern wall of the current
church tuff of the St. Pieter were used. The ruins of the St. Pieter were
demolished in the 17th century.
In ca. 1500 the choir was built, which was flanked by a sacristy on the north
side and a chapel on the south side, the latter of which was built already in
1418 and was replaced in the 16th century.
The tower dates from the first half of the 16th century and is of the Sticht
Gothic type, inspired by the tower of the cathedral in Utrecht but with square segments only.
In 1585 the church was badly damaged during fights between Spanish and
Republican troops. Rebuilding didn't start until 1616. The church had become
protestant then, and to improve the view on the pulpit several pillars were
removed. The church was covered by wooden vaults, which still remain in the
side-aisles, but those of the central aisle were replaced by plaster vaults in