Brunssum (L): St. Vincentius à Paulo (F.P.J.
is a former mining village and now a part of Brunssum.
the early 1920's the village had two wooden churches, one near each of
local mines, but in 1923 architect F.P.J. Peutz was commissioned to
design a new central church with a small monastery. It would be his
first church that was built.
were certain demands to be met; the church had to be big enough for 500
people, had to have a big choir, two chapels, large
portals and connected sacrities.
Peutz designed a
three-aisled pseudo-basilica in a Traditionalist style influenced by
the work of H.P. Berlage. At the front is a short tower which is
crowned by a cuppola. Flanking the tower are the two portals.The two
chapels were put at the front of the church, on both sides of the
church was largely constructed out of reinforced concrete, with
seperate constructions for the tower, nave and the choir to
minimize the risk of mine damage. For the outside brick was
In 1953-1955 a building was added to the north side,
containing a children's chapel and a garage.