Wehe-Den Hoorn (Gr): St. Bonifatius (J.Th.J Cuypers & P. Cuypers jr., 1927)
Wehe-Den Hoorn is the name of the combination of two once
seperate villages, Wehe and Den Hoorn. While Wehe became protestant
during the Reformation, like most of the region, Den Hoorn remained a catholic
enclave thanks to the local nobility that refused to become protestant. The St.
Bonifatius is located in the latter part of the village and was
preceded by several buildings. In the late 18th century a barn-church was built, which
was replaced in 1803 by a true church. The latter
church was replaced by the current one in 1927, which was built more to
the west than the old one.
The current church is a three-aisled building, designed by father and
son Jos and Pierre Cuypers in their characteristic Expressionist style
that shows the influence of the work of French monk and architect Dom
Bellot, especially in the shapes of the windows. Like many churches
designed by these two architects, this church has side-aisles
that are made up of chapels with pointed gables and seperate roofs
square on the nave. At the front of the church, next to
the nave, is a tower with a spire in Baroque style. The choir is
narrower and lower than the nave and has a straight closure.
Because the construction was unstable, diagonal
buttresses were added to the nave after the church was completed.