(Fr): reformed church
built at the typically Frisian location of a terp, this church no
longer looks like a typical Frisian church ever since the saddle-roof
tower, which collapsed in 1804, was replaced by a new one with a spire
The church dates from ca. 1300, and was probably dedicated to St.
Martinus. A part of an earlier church remains in the form of a space at
the northern side of the nave. This transept-like construction has some
nice Romanesque masonry, as well as a peculiar tower on top. This
earlier church, according to an old story, was set on fire by one of
the rivalring parties during a feud.
The nave was built using the tuff stones of the first church, as well
as brick. Details indicate that it was built in a time when Romanesque
was gradually replaced by Gothicism. This is especially true for the
bead-profiles around the windows, a typical feature of Romanogothicism.
The buttresses are not for the support of the building, as the church
has wooden vaults, but were added after the Reformation to hide some
decorative brickwork from catholic times.
The southern 'transept-arm' is called 'Koarte Gaerde', a corruption of
the French Corps du Garde, a reminder of 1795, when it housed French
soldiers. The tower in that time was used for Napoleon's optical