(Fr): St. Vitus (P.J.H. Cuypers, 1868-1871)
(Blauhűs in Frisian) is a relatively young village, which emerged in
ca. 1640. It
has always been a catholic place, a true enclave in a mostly protestant
area. Although until 1949 it wasn't officially even a village, it was a
parish. Its church was built in 1868-1871 and was designed by P.J.H.
Cuypers, who used many ideas he had previously intended for his church
in Sappemeer (Gr). The St. Vitus was the first of seven churches
Cuypers built in Friesland. It's a three-aisled cruciform basilica,
with a pseudo-transept at the western parts of the side-aisles. The
transept on the south-side is flanked by a tower. Remarkable is the
prominent use of yellow-coloured natural stone.